Obesity – Can We Win The Battle? Yes!
Back to browse -
View full topic
- Can you think of any subject that has had more publicity and diversity of opinions over the last two decades than “OBESITY”?
- Why is there such an obesity epidemic?
- What are the health and medical specialists doing to correct the obesity epidemic from continuing its upward spiral?
- Are you taking note of the recommendations on how to overcome obesity?
- Are you willing to start an exercise program that involves 6 – 9 hours of supervised activity? Doubt it!
- Do you understand what is meant by the advice to “Watch your diet”? If so, are you doing what you believe this means to correct your over-weight or obese problems?
- Have you been medically diagnosed as having a particular physical or hereditary problem that has caused the obesity?
- Have you ever been educated about the workings of the Human Digestive System? Particularly the first stage – the chewing process?
- Did you ever consider that the first stage of the Digestive System process – that of Chewing – is the only part of the entire process over which you have complete control?
- Did you ever realize that once the food is swallowed, the digestive processes thereafter are completely out of your control?
- Would you prefer to have surgery – for example Bariatric surgery – which, by the way, requires you to commit to a life-long exercise regimen in order to be classed as successful?
- Would you consider starting a controlled exercise program – even from home - in order to start a positive new habit that can only stand you in good stead for the rest of your life?
- Would you agree with the statement that obese people have lost control over one of the most elementary aspects of their lives?
- Can we assume for a moment that you are say 20 kilograms or 44 pounds overweight? It is really immaterial whether you are male or female or a teenager. Now, the next question is whether you have or are able to lift that weight and spend the day carrying it around with you? This weight is usually the maximum allowed by the airlines for an un-accompanied suitcase. How would you manage?
- Have you noticed that most obese people are “fast eaters”? Whilst technically there is nothing wrong with eating fast, the problem is that most fast eaters DO NOT CHEW THEIR FOOD SUFFICIENTLY WELL!
- Have you heard of the theory that you should chew each mouthful say 20 or 30 or whatever number of times? Let us discuss a few weaknesses:
Firstly, surely it depends on what is being eaten?
Then, will it not depend on the condition of your teeth and gums?
Will this not have a bearing on your age as well?
Can you imagine how difficult it is to a) concentrate on a discussion whilst counting the number of chews, and b) how exhausting it is on the jaw muscles?
- Have you ever been on a Diet? How many? If more than one, then can we assume that some or most were unsuccessful?
- How do most diets work? They rely on a reduction in calories – which is energy – which in turn will make your body lower its working rate (metabolic rate). This is an automatic safety process initiated by your body.
- Did you realize that by reducing your calorie intake through a diet, without partaking in an exercise building program, you will lose fat AS WELL AS MUSCLE, which no one can afford to do, especially obese people who have limited muscle anyway compared to exercisers?
Can we rely on BMI? No. Don’t rely on BMI (Body Mass Index - the ratio of your weight in kilos- or pounds - to the square of your height in meters – or feet)
Is BMI enough to tell the whole story?..
Globally, there are more than 1 billion overweight adults, at least 300 million of them obese.
Obesity and overweight pose a major risk for chronic diseases, including type 2 diabetes, cardiovascul..
Take smaller mouthfuls of food, so as to allow them to spread the contents over as large an area as possible whilst chewing the contents to its maximum – change the contents from food to nutrients t..
Fat is Fat & Muscle is Muscle!
There is much confusion and frustration being caused by lack of knowledge as to the differences between Muscle and Fat in the Human Body.
It is often the case th..
Have you ever heard of the saying? “Dieting makes you Fat”? DIETS have proven time & again to be a failure. In fact, dieting without a professionally designed and supervised exercise program does no..
Simply because most diets do not work!
Photo: 5 Pounds of Fat (right) vs. 5 Pounds of Muscle (left)
Important note: Never lose Muscle – Aim always to lose the excess Fat!
Anyone falling in to the unfortunate category of weighing too much, whether it be classified as “overweight” or “obese”, will have to admit that trying to adhere to these guidelines is much more pre..
Quote: “Exercise is important, even after bariatric surgery.”
“Bariatric surgery is becoming a mainstream method of treating obesity. Despite the many risks of surgery, thousands of Americans und..
Most people do not have all the facts or have not been educated about the needs of the Human Body. It is that simple.
They are possibly afraid of making a commitment, or adhering to new disciplines..
Quote: “Part of the problem is that the message about eating well is necessarily more complicated than the messages of other health campaigns. The recommendations for preventing tobacco-related illn..